Welcome to the Brunswick County Master Gardener Hotline
Thank you for volunteering your time and expertise. Below are some helpful hints to access the following websites. Complete Master Gardener Procedure Manual here.
ACCESSING WEBSITES There are two ways to access the websites. You can either click the direct link or you can follow the detailed directions below the link.
Information on Lawn Maintenance Calendars, Turf Grasses, Diseases, Insects, etc.
• Turffiles or
• Double click the icon Brunswick Counter Center Home (Brunswick County Cooperative Center Home Page) on top center of computer screen • Click ‘Lawn & Garden’, which is highlighted in red on the left. • Click ‘Learn More Using the Resources’ • ‘Extension Programs at NC State University’ • Click ‘Turffiles-Lawncare Information for North Carolina’.
• Soil Testing or
• Double click the icon Brunswick Counter Center Home (Brunswick County Cooperative Center Home Page) on top center of computer screen • Click ‘Lawn & Garden’, (highlighted in red on the left) • Click ‘Learn More Using the Resources’ • Click ‘Partnerships & Organizations’ • Click ‘NC Soil Testing Lab’. On the left, click ‘Find Your Report (PALS)’.
• Newcomer Packet or
• Double click the icon Brunswick Counter Center Home (Brunswick County Cooperative Center Home Page) on top center of computer screen. • In search rectangle type, ‘Newcomer Packet’, and hit enter. Click Newcomer Packet to open it • To Email Newcomer Packet, following “E-mailing a publication” in the Brunswick County Extension Master Gardener Procedures Manual, page 8.
Emailing a publication instructions here.
• Double click the icon Brunswick Counter Center Home (Brunswick County Cooperative Center Home Page) on top center of computer screen. • Click ‘Lawn & Garden’ (highlighted in red on the left) •Click ‘Learn More Using the Resources’ • Click ‘Publications, Information, and News’ • Click ‘Extension Publications for Lawn and Garden’
Please make sure you record your hours by logging onto NCSUGARDEN.COM.
Answering the telephone or dealing with a walk in client
Identify yourself as: Master Gardener (Your Name).
Request their name, address, telephone number and email address of the client. Gather as much information as you can concerning the question or problem. In general do not give any solution information over the phone on the initial call, but instead look up the information and email or call them back. If dealing with a walk in client you may be able to supply the needed information by finding an appropriate publication during the visit. If you are too busy or unsure of an answer please explain to the client that you will research the question or problem and you will call or email as soon as an answer is found.
Call back or email after obtaining the needed information and provide the client with the appropriate material. This may be done using one or more of the following methods:
- Giving a verbal answer with references to useful extension materials and their websites.
- Emailing the web address of NCSU (or other extension approved source) information. Most of the documents in our files are available online — this saves time and mailing costs.
- Mailing written material following instructions posted in desk area or in notebook labeled Brunswick County Extension Master Gardener Office Manual.To look up information Use Publication Index Directory to point you to numbered information sheets in the file cabinets.The Publication Index Directory is organized in three sections: Alphabetical order, Specific topic, Publication number.
- Search using Google or other search engines with NCSU as one of the search terms. This is more likely to get you extension approved material. If NCSU fails try using .edu as a term. Use web material that is extension related — NC or other states if appropriate.
- Use Ortho Problem Solver or other books in our library.
- Before making any chemical recommendations, check the NC Agricultural Chemical Manual.
Please fill out hotline request forms completely — additional hotline forms are located in the back of Hot Line book.
Info Line References